[Advaita-l] Umā vratam - A vrata taught by Umā and observed by the wives of Kṛṣṇa

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 22:41:30 CDT 2016

Umā vratam - A vrata taught by Umā and observed by the wives of Kṛṣṇa

http://mahabharata-resources.org/harivamsa/vishnuparva/hv_2_078.html

[Umā is sarvajñā]

umovAcha
sarvaj~nAhaM yadA bhartuH prasAdena shuchismite |
tadA purA mamAdiShTo dR^iShTaH puNyavidhiH shubhaH ||2-78-1
umA said:
O woman with a pure, beautiful smile (arundhati)! Since when I became the
one who knows all, due to the blessings of my husband, I knew the scheme of
observing the auspicious puNyaka vow.

http://mahabharata-resources.org/harivamsa/vishnuparva/hv_2_079.html
arundhati kR^itaM hyetanmayaiva prathamaM yataH |
umAvratakamityeva khyAtamatra mahItale ||2-79-35
arundhati! This vow was observed by me first. Hence, on the face of earth,
this vow is known as the vow of umA.

This part narrates that the wives of Krishna observed the Umāvrata:
http://mahabharata-resources.org/harivamsa/vishnuparva/hv_2_081.html

regards
subrahmanian.v