[Advaita-l] Ramana Maharshi - Advaitin or Neo Advaitin?

Raghav Kumar raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 09:39:24 CDT 2016

> The only contention is that his
> teachings cannot be considered as orthodox Advaita because :
>
> 1) By his own/Ramanashram  admission
> 2) His words are not shruti (paurusheya)‎
> 3) He cannot be considered a Guru in orth‎odox sense, for he was
> illiterate of Shastras, outside the lineage and mostly maintained silence
> when asked about anything. This is considering for the sake of argument
> that he was jnani.
> 4) Judging by the affairs of the Ashram

Namaste Kripa ji

I must admit to being amused by what you suggest in the above post. Is
someone to be judged orthodox or unorthodox based on the running of an
ashram.  For example some of the Shankara paramparA maTha-s in the north
have faced some legal problems and are not exactly the epitomes of
efficient administration. Does that mean that they become outside the pale
of Advaita Vedanta tradition thereby? There is no connection whatsoever.
Also you seem to have some grouse against the Ramanasramam administration.
After all, what is life without nursing some grievance. But you may need to
keep that separate from trying to analyze Sri Ramana Maharshi.

Also I can state with authority one obsevation about the Ramanasramam -
they do not try to foist any ideology or official doctrine or dogma in the
name of Sri Ramana Maharshi. It is entirely left to each one of us
individually to understand and benefit from Sri Ramana Maharshi. Again I
see that you are trying to find an imaged Vatican in the form of
'Ramanashram' to fight which thrusts some official doctrine or creed. One
more quixotic windmill to tilt at. If it makes you feel any better let me
share with you the fact even within a tightly knit organization like Sri
Ramakrishna Mission, sweets were distributed in some of the Southern indian
centres of the organization when they lost the case claiming that they were
a non-hindu religious minority ;  a status which had already been bestowed
upon the 'Vedic' Arya Samaj etc. But its a mistaken appraoch to look for
some 'official' version and fight crusades against it.

If someone says we need to do considerable shravaNam before properly
appreciating and benefitting from Sri Ramana Maharshi whose words are more
nidhidhyAsana-pradhAna, else  (without shravaNam) we might unwittingly
become dogmatic camp followers, I am in agreement.

Om
Raghav

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 6:54 PM, Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <