[Advaita-l] Ritual Purity, Svadhyaya, and Commute

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 03:27:32 CDT 2016

Agree with Subbuji, with many of us being professionals, there is no option
but to do mAdhyAhnikam in the morning itself.

Talking of long commutes, once I was in a train and doing sAyam sandhya and
there were some college students sitting in the same compartment, wondering
what I was up to. Unable to contain their curiosity they asked my wife,
"What is he doing? Are you jains?" (He probably saw the white angavastram
and was confused). My wife replied, 'No, we are Brahmins, that's why he is
doing' The college guy was totally shocked and asked - "Brahmins? What do
Brahmins have to do?" She smiled and replied "Sandhyavandam". I suspect he
was a Brahmin too! The guy couldn't believe that Brahmins are required to
do sandhyA!! :)

Ideally I would do sandhi at home, but if we are on long journeys, we have
no option but to do it on trains, buses planes etc. In fact I still do it
on long haul flights - nobody really seems to mind. I just mentally chant
punyahavachanam and start on such occasions.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On 10 Sep 2016 8:09 a.m., "V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l" <