[Advaita-l] How can prANa be Brahman?

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 08:02:26 CDT 2016

Namaste Sri Raghav ji,
My response in-line

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 12:31 PM, Raghav Kumar <raghavkumar00 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The question is -
>
> 1.   'jnAna'
> 2. 'not transposing the  vRttis of sorrow occurring in the mind, upon
> oneself ie the 'I'
>
> Do 1 and 2 necessarily go together or not? If yes then the two do not
> become two different goals to be achieved. There is no need to work
> separately for goal 2.
>
> Yes, jnAna reveals the nature of the self by removing the ignorance of
self. Knowing the self (1) means that one does not take the mind to be the
self, thereby falsely superimposing attributes of the mind onto the self,
or adhyAsa (2) . jnAna acquisition leads to adhyAsa removal.

However getting jnAna does not necessarily mean that sorrow / delusion in
the mind is never experienced. Therefore, my contention is that Swami
VidyAraNya was advocating vAsanAkshaya as a means of training the mind to
react better to external circumstances that disturb it. When this training
is done, the mind is calm more often than not, allowing for svarUpa Ananda
to be reflected in it and experiencing bliss (pratibimba Ananda), more
often than not.

Does it mean that a jnAni never feels pain or sorrow - no, it only means
that, on the whole, he experiences bliss. However, and this is the part
that is relevant to moksha, he never transfers any experiential bliss or
experiential sorrow onto himself and says "I am blissful" or "I am in pain".

Regards,
Venkatraghavan