[Advaita-l] Encounter between Madhvacharya and a Sringeri Pontiff

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 11:05:32 CDT 2016

Namaste,

On Sat, Sep 3, 2016 at 3:59 PM, D Gayatri <dgayatrinov10 at gmail.com> wrote:

> And may I point out one more thing sir? According to the source, cited by
> Hacker, Shankara was supposed to be peethadhipathi from 745 to 769 CE. (You
> can check the book, Philology and Confrontation, page 28, if you think I am
> lying. Hacker also gives his source.).

It would have been easier to comment if you had mentioned who the source
for Hacker is, instead of asking me to refer to the book which I am very
unlikely to refer to even if someone gifted me the same, not because I
think you're lying (doubting someone seems to be your turf, not mine,
please), but plainly because it is outside my area of interest.

> Now your source says he occupied this position till 820 CE.

> May I know which source to believe in and why?

Only you can answer such a question. Still let me try... you will believe
in the source that you trust or trust more, so will I. However, if the
source is Sringeri record itself, I will consider that website info is
likely a typo and leave it that and not think that website source lied for
some reason.

> Or do you think both sources are consistent? If so, please explain how?

That this question of both contradictory dates being consistent occurs to
you as a possibility is itself surprising, let alone be explainable! :)

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
/* Through what should one know That owing to which all this is k