[Advaita-l] Ontological status of avidyA

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 03:13:54 CST 2016

Thank you SadAji.

Talking of Sri Satchidanendra Sarasvati Swaminah, one question he asks (I
think it may be in mANDUkya rahasya vritti, not sure) in this context is -
if we say that avidyA is adhyasta on Atma, how can we then say that the
avidyA, an adhyasta vastu, is adhyAsa kAraNa?

For example, the mithyA snake is superimposed on a satya rope. If the rope
itself is mithyA, how can it lead to snake adhyAsa?

Brahman, being nirvikAra, cannot be a kAraNa at all (vide advaita
prakaraNa). AvidyA being adhyasta itself, also cannot be adhyAsa kAraNa. So
what is the cause of adhyAsa?

Secondly what is the cause for avidyA to be adhyasta on Brahman in the
first place?  This leads to anavasthA, because if you say another avidyA,
what is the cause for that being adhyasta, and so on.

To answer these, I think we have to resort to 1) avidyA being anAdi,
therefore it is ever located in Brahman, hence no cause need be postulated
for it being "adhyasta" on Brahman 2) secondly, we should consider the
ontological status of avidyA as anirvachanIya. Therefore, while we can talk
of the appearance of everything else as adhyAsa due to avidyA, avidyA (ie
mUlAvidyA) is not available as itself for classification. It is only
inferred through its products, kAryAnumeya. Hence the question how can
adhyasta vastu be adhyAsa kAraNa is not applicable for avidyA, it being
unclassifiable as adhyasta in the first place.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan