[Advaita-l] Death in the family: rituals permitted

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 23:30:32 CST 2016

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 1:34 AM, Shashi via Advaita-l <

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I need some guidance on ritual purity.
> Unfortunately, my great aunt has gone to Svarga.
>
> If there has been a death in the family, in my case paternal grandfather's
> sister, I understand certain rituals cannot be performed for a few days due
> to the ritual impurity that attached to mourners. However I'm not sure what
> rituals cannot be performed. I'm also unclear as to how long the impurity
> attaches. The practices central to my sadhana are the sandhyavandana,
> various Japas to forms of Lord Vishnu, Salagrama puja, and Ramayana
> parayana. Could someone please explain the effect of the elder's passing on
> my ability to perform these practices? Also, if one must stop, how long
> must one wait to resume these practices?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Shashi

Dear Shashi,

In this case, only for your father, if he is alive, it is just a short
period, three day's āśoucha.  For you there is no impurity at all
whatsoever. This is as per our tradition.

It is better for you to consult any elders or any purohita of your
tradition and determine.

regards
vs