[Advaita-l] Childless going to naraga

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Nov 10 23:09:52 CST 2016

praNAms
Hare Krishna

Na putrasya gatir naasti..I don’t know which purANa / dharma shAstra says this.  That means the son is the one who will guide his father / mother  to svarga after the death by performing the  vaidika karma (like antyeshti, ceremonies etc.), if there is no son no 'gati' for that departed soul.  Now the question is if there is no 'putra saNtAna' what one should do??  I reckon, our dharma shAstra would suggest somany alternatives for this.  Sri Ananda Hudli prabhuji may give some references for this.  Bottom line is this ( in my opinion) our shAstra says 'uddhare AtmanAtmAnaM' it is our pApa and puNya that decides our next abode. Worrying much about whether it is Naraka or svarga, svarga only when I have son otherwise permanent place in naraka etc. in current janma will be futile  and we have to first concentrate on 'svadharmAcharaNa' and leave the rest to 'Ishwara'  let him decide the 'phala' because he is the karma phala dAta.  In short, just having the putra saNtAna does not guarantee a place in svarga.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar