[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** The five pUrva pakshis of vaitathya prakaraNa

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 07:10:25 CDT 2016

Namaste Sri Ravi Kiran,

Yes, I think the portions that you highlighted below are relevant to the
discussion because the presence of duality in its kAraNa or potential form
in deep sleep has been quite clearly described, especially in the bhAshya
to 3.34 यस्मात्सुषुप्ते... अविद्यामोहतमोग्रस्तस्य
अन्तर्लीनानेकानर्थप्रवृत्तिबीजवासनावत:

However just to clarify, and you may have picked up on this already - I am
not saying that it is because of prAjna's association with *ignorance* that
it's view of reality cannot be accepted. It is because any participant in a
system is only able to vouch for what he experiences in the system. He will
say what he sees is true and what he does not see is false. So without
shruti, each of prAjna, taijasA and vishvA are only able to say that their
prapancha is real and the other two are false. Whereas what mANDUkya is
saying is that all three prapanchas are mithyA.

In order to objectively describe something, the one describing that thing
has to be outside it. That is why turIya, who is not associated with either
the jAgrat, svapna or kAraNa prapanchas and sharIras can objectify them,
and because he is able to do so, they are all mithyA. दृश्यत्वात्
मिथ्यात्वं.

Further it is only the seer of all prapanchas that is true. So actually the
pAdas are not four, there is only one pAda - turIya. That is why in mantra
7, turIya is called चतुर्थं "मन्यन्ते" - it is "considered as" fourth - it
is not really the fourth.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan