[Advaita-l] Shankara and DrishTi-SrishTi vAda - eka jeeva vaada

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sun May 22 10:52:36 CDT 2016

Namaste Chandramouliji,

On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 7:20 PM, H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The Sidhanta is that Realization is possible ONLY through mahAvAkya
> upadEsha by the Guru.

The knowledge of one being the non-dual reality is possible only through
Shruti taught by the Guru. And I do not consider that DSV as either outside
the Shruti or not taught by the tradition. So none of what I said means
anything contrary to what you assert.

> From what I can gather from the responses, we seem to be concluding that
> such an upadEsha is not needed after all.

No, no. Just to be clear, at the cost of being repetitive, DSV is not
outside the tradition and very much includes the upadesha. Factually, the
focus of DSV is only the mahAvAkya establishing aham brahma asmi and not
avAntara vAkyas, because the entire bunch of latter are grouped into
svapnavat.

Anyway each of us have our own understandings. But frankly I am surprised
> at the responses.

I too would be surprised if I had gathered that such is the conclusion, but
its not.

praNAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */