[Advaita-l] Shankara and DrishTi-SrishTi vAda - eka jeeva vaada

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue May 10 06:50:22 CDT 2016

Namaste Sri Bhaskar ji,
Yes, it is a difficult vAda to accept.

The delusion of jIva is also highly contextual in this vAda and needs to be
understood properly.

This vAda, however, is not contrary to ShAnkara advaita - HH Sri Abhinava
VidyAtIrtha MahAswAmigal would not have endorsed DSV if it was.

This excerpt is from the book "Exalting Elucidations" (pp.280f):

"Disciple:
Then, what is creation?

His Holiness:
Perception alone is creation. There is no creation other than perception.
Perception of a thing is its origination.

Disciple:
What about Ishvara?

His Holiness:
He too is a part of your dream. In reality, there is neither cause nor
effect. One has bondage as long as one considers that one has bondage. He
who feels that he is free is indeed free. That is why it has been said: "He
who considers himself liberated is a liberated one. He who feels that he
has
bondage is bound" (Ashtavakra Gita 1.11.). Therefore, one should remove the
wrong impression that one has bondage.

Disciple:
Is the removal of the wrong idea that one has bondage the means to attain
moksha?

His Holiness:
Yes. So far, I was speaking with the drshti-srshti-vada
(perception-is-creation view) in mind. This, however, is not suitable for
many people because their minds are not pure enough to imbibe it. People
accept that the dream state is unreal. However, if told that the waking
state is equally unreal, they would feel disturbed. On hearing, "The waking
state is on par with the dream state" some may decide that dreams too are
real! That is why the shastra-s do not speak much of the
drshti-srshti-vada."

Regards,
Venkatraghavan
praNAms Sri Venkatraghavan prabhuji
Hare Krishna

because Sri Appayya Dikshitar later uses Ishvara directly to mean the jIva
himself - "Ishvara .api san bhrAnto bhavati jAgare" - despite *being
Ishvara*, he is deluded in the waking state.

>  I don’t know in which context Ishwara can directly mean the jeeva but in
shankara bhAshya jeeva is shAreeri and he has very limited boundaries
within this BMI under these circumstances there is difference between
Ishwara and jeeva.  jeevO hi nAma chetanaH shareerAdhyakshaH prANAnAM
dhArayitA, tat prasiddheH whereas Ishwara is not only in shareera of jeeva
he is 'sarva gata' like AkAsha, bigger than puthvi and AkAsha but jeevastu
shareere eva bhavati, tasya bhOgAdishTANAt shareerAdanyatra vruttyabhAvAt
clarifies shankara in sUtra bhAshya.  So, when we realize this satya there
is no jeeva bhAva but till then there is Ishwara jeeva bheda and that is
what even smruti texts too emphasizes, smrtishcha shAreera
paramAtmanOrbhedaM darshayati.  Ishwara himself deluded IMHO does not go
well within the shankarAdvaita because Ishwara is avidyA vinirmukta, nitya
shuddha Buddha mukta.  Kindly note I am not questioning the above statement
just I am sharing my thoughts on Ishwara and jeeva according to shankara
bhAshya.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar