[Advaita-l] Shankara and DrishTi-SrishTi vAda

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri May 6 04:23:54 CDT 2016

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 2:09 PM, Bhaskar YR via Advaita-l <

> Shankara didn't mention either of these terms explicitly. However my view
> is that there are several sections of the kArika, bhAshya, etc. which seem
> to argue from a DSV standpoint.
>
> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> Yes, it seems to be so !!  But how this stand point is different from that
> of vijnAna vAda which shankara himself refuted in sUtra bhAshya??

In the 4.99 verse of the GK Shankara says:

क्रमते न हि बुद्धस्य ज्ञानं धर्मेषु तायिनः ।
सर्वे धर्मास्तथा ज्ञानं नैतद्बुद्धेन भाषितम् ॥ ९९ ॥

For the last words: naitad buddhena bhāṣitam:

तथा धर्मा इति आकाशमिव अचलमविक्रियं निरवयवं
नित्यमद्वितीयमसङ्गमदृश्यमग्राह्यमशनायाद्यतीतं ब्रह्मात्मतत्त्वम्, ‘न हि
द्रष्टुर्दृष्टेर्विपरिलोपो विद्यते’ (बृ. उ. ४-३-२३)
<http://advaitasharada.sringeri.net/php/format.php?bhashya=Brha&page=04&hval=%E2%80%98%E0%A4%A8%20%E0%A4%B9%E0%A4%BF%20%E0%A4%A6%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%B0%E0%A4%B7%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%9F%E0%A5%81%E0%A4%B0%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%A6%E0%A5%83%E0%A4%B7%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%9F%E0%A5%87%E0%A4%B0%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%B5%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%AA%E0%A4%B0%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%B2%E0%A5%8B%E0%A4%AA%E0%A5%8B%20%E0%A4%B5%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%A6%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%AF%E0%A4%A4%E0%A5%87%E2%80%99%20(%E0%A4%AC%E0%A5%83.%20%E0%A4%89.%20%E0%A5%AA-%E0%A5%A9-%E0%A5%A8%E0%A5%A9)#BR_C04_S03_V23>
इति
श्रुतेः । ज्ञानज्ञेयज्ञातृभेदरहितं परमार्थतत्त्वमद्वयमेतन्न बुद्धेन भाषितम्
। यद्यपि बाह्यार्थनिराकरणं ज्ञानमात्रकल्पना च अद्वयवस्तुसामीप्यमुक्तम् ।
इदं तु परमार्थतत्त्वमद्वैतं वेदान्तेष्वेव विज्ञेयमित्यर्थः ॥
Even though the Bauddha denied the triputi, the external objects and
admitted the idea that everything is just consciousness, and thereby came
very close to the Advaya vastu of the Vedanta, yet,  this paramārtha
tattvam Advaitam (characterized by the nitya chaitanyam for which Shankara
cited the vakyam above) is to be known only from the Upanishads.
By saying this Shankara has accepted that the bāhyārtha nirākaranam is
Vedanta Advaya and denial of triputi too is Vedanta and admitting all to be
jnanamātram is also aupanishadic.  But by not admitting the Eternal
Consciousness (and by accepting only the kshanika vijnana - vijnanavada),
the Buddha did not measure up to the Vedantic doctrine.
Thus, for Shankara that alone is Aupanishada tatvam which denies external
world and bases that denial on the nitya Chaitanyam.  This is the
difference between the kshanika vijnana vāda of the Bauddha and the
prapanchopashama Nitya Chaitanya vāda of Vedanta.
Sri SSS, has openly agreed to the above in the three Kannada translations
that I have presented in another post. His words 'husi torike', ibbaru
chandraru toruvudu are proof of this.

vs