[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Why only jagat is mithya and jeeva is brahman !!??

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 03:23:33 CDT 2016

Namaste Sadaji, Bhaskarji,

Apologies for responding out of turn in a communication between Sadaji and
Bhaskarji, but I see a discrepancy in that the statement is grossly
misinterpreted.

Sadaji said:

Seeing the world does not make it real - in fact it makes it mithyaa only
> since it is seen.

Bhaskarji replied:

Sadaji said:

> As sat cannot be seen and asat also cannot be seen.

Bhaskarji replied:

> >  if the 'seeing' is the main criteria for determining the reality, then
> as per your logic even brahman also become unreal as it cannot be seen :-)

How does "in fact, it (seeing the world) makes it mithyA only" *logically*
mean "brahman becomes unreal as it cannot be seen"?! IMO, there is no
logical connection at all between the two statements. The fact is what is
seen is mithyA; what is not seen is what cannot be objectified since it is
the subject oneself and then understood as the very vastu, brahman.

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */