[Advaita-l] Understanding Reality in the Vision of Advaita Vedanta

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 12:51:06 CDT 2016

Dear Sri Wolfgang,
Namaste. Thanks for sharing a well-written article.

I would make just one comment - while Brahman is certainly ananta
(limitless), it is also Ananda (bliss). It appeared that the article
glossed over the nature of Atma as bliss, and took this to mean pUrNatvam -
infiniteness. If that wasn't the intention, please ignore the email.
There are two corollaries to the self's nature as Ananda:

1) I don't need any object, outcome or event to make me happy, because
happiness is my very nature. I do not need to engage in the pursuit of
happiness, because the object pursued, happiness, is my self.

2) Any joy that I encounter with the acquisition of any object
(relationships, possessions, professional and personal accomplishments) are
not intrinsic to the object. They are simply reflections of my nature of
bliss. So, when I say I love my family, it's not the family that is loved,
but it is the bliss that is encountered in my interactions with them, that
I love. When that experiential bliss is lost, the object of my love, ceases
to be loved.
Therefore what is indeed loved, is not the family, occupation, possessions
or objects of desire, but the self alone. This is a universal phenomenon,
and something that YAjnavalkya observes to his wife  Maitreyi.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On 21 Jul 2016 2:43 p.m., "Wolfgang P via Advaita-l" <