[Advaita-l] Sakshi Pratyaksham and Avidya Vritti

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 20:36:44 CST 2016

Sri Venkatraghavan Ji,

Reg  << 1) For साक्षि प्रत्यक्षं where अविद्या वृत्ति reveals the object,
does the
location of ज्ञान विषय and ज्ञान वृत्ति have to be the कारण शरीरं, or is it
possible for the विषय to be in the अन्तःकरणं, but the ज्ञान वृत्ति is in
the कारण शरीरं? >>,

in the case of रज्जुसर्पं the ज्ञान विषय is located in रज्जु (
वस्त्ववछ्छिन्नचैतन्याश्रितअविद्या) being the परिणाम of the तमोगुण of this
अविद्या while the ज्ञान is produced through the परिणाम of the सत्वगुण of
the अविद्या  located in Sakshi (साक्षीचैतन्याष्रितअविद्या) which is
associated (आरूढ) with the . अन्तःकरण वृत्ति reaching the  रज्जु.

Reg  << 2) If there is a requirement that both have to be in the कारण शरीरं,
then
it would mean that dreams, which have प्रातिभासिक सत्ता would be located in
the कारण शरीरं, not अन्तः करणं (because प्रातिभासिक विषय are revealed by
अविद्या वृत्ति located in the कारण शरीर). This does not seem intuitively
correct.>>,

the ज्ञान विषय  for dreams is located in अन्तःकरण (
अन्तःकरणचैतन्याष्रितअविद्या) being the परिणाम of the तमोगुण of this अविद्या
while the ज्ञान is produced through the परिणाम of the सत्वगुण of the अविद्या
 located in Sakshi (साक्षीचैतन्याष्रितअविद्या).

I have not used the terminology or explanation employed by Swami
Paramarthananda , But it is still based on Vichara Sagara only, based on a
book in kannada by Swami Shankarananda. I have regularly compared the
contents of this book with the talks by SP and found them to correspond
very closely except in this part of Vichara Sagara. There are significant
differences in this portion. The kannada book in fact does not mention the
term कारणशरीरवृत्ति and makes no reference to two वृत्ति (ज्ञान वृत्ति and
विषय वृत्ति) at all at any place in the book. I have presented the answer
to your questions based on this book because it is more in tune with my
understanding. Hope it would be useful in clearing your doubts.

Regards

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 3:52 PM, Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <