[Advaita-l] avidya is Agantuka

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 04:08:03 CST 2016

Sri Venkatraghavan Ji,

I did not intend to mean anywhere that <<  the manifestation of कारण शरीर
is limited to सुषुप्ति >>. Anyway this could form the subject matter for
another thread perhaps.

But for the present we will revert back to the subject of our focus in this
thread. And that is, quoting from one of your previous posts ,  <<  I
suppose we are debating what

Anandagiri AchArya is referring to by the manifestation of avidya. >>.

I am quoting below from the latest post by Sri Subrahmanian Ji

<< In the above bhaṣyam we can see that the āvaraṇa has been said to be of
the
nature of 'tattva apratibodha', that is, not-knowing of the Truth, which is
the seed. For what? For the anyathā grahaṇa, which is the effect, the
sprout of the seed: vikṣepa. This is present in the two states jāgrat and
svapna. The 'seed' is present in all states as the fundamental ignorance.
This is what is meant by 'agantuka' in the current discussion, while the
'seed' is admitted to be anādi and present in all states, through all
janmas. till one becomes enlightened, which is what the above verse finally
says .>>.

I am not clear what is referred to by the statement << This is what is
meant by 'agantuka' in the current discussion >>. Which is meant by
agantuka – seed ('tattva apratibodha' ) or vikshepa ??  I am not sure. If
seed is meant along with its effect of आवरण ('tattva apratibodha' ) , that
is what I have been saying also all along. Sri Subrahmanian Ji may please
clarify. If my understanding is wrong, then I will offer further
justification for my understanding.

You could also confirm your understanding of this post by Sri Subrahmanian
Ji.

Regards