[Advaita-l] avidya is Agantuka

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 05:57:44 CST 2016

Sri Chandramouli,

Thanks to you and Sri Ravi Kiran for introducing and carrying this
discussion forward.

Given Anandagiri AchArya has provided the sub commentary, one would have to
think that BhagavatpAda was referring to the manifestation of अविद्या
having आगन्तुकत्वं.

The problem with taking "कारण शरीरं being exclusively active in सुषुप्ति"
as BhagavatpAdA's intended meaning of आगन्तुकत्वं of अविद्या, is one of
context in my opinion.

The passage is talking of the absence of अविद्या, काम and कर्म in आत्मा, on
account of all such characteristics being आगन्तुक. Because काम and कर्म are
included in addition to अविद्या, in my humble opinion, in this context, the
description of आत्मा is not given as शरीरत्रय विलक्षणं. Why? Because even
if अविद्या is taken to mean कारण शरीरं, it would be a stretch to equate काम
and कर्म to mean स्थूल-सूक्ष्म शरीरौ.

It may be argued that अविद्या refers to कारण शरीरं, but काम and कर्म  refer
to the traditional meaning of the terms.

To that argument, one would have to point out that the same adjective,
आगन्तुक, is used to describe अविद्या, काम and कर्म. It would be odd  for
अविद्या to refer to कारण शरीरं, but अविद्याs आगन्तुकत्वं to refer to only
the कारण शरीरं being active in सुषुप्ति (as it cannot be directly argued
that कारण शरीर is आगन्तुक, as कारण शरीर is अनादि, a fact which you have
pointed out as well). This becomes especially a stretch, when when no so
such mental gymnastics are required to explain the आगन्तुकत्वं of काम and
कर्म.

So if they are not a metaphor for शरीर त्रय, what else do अविद्या, काम and
कर्म represent?

In my opinion, they represent आगन्तुक धर्माः that are superimposed on Atma
and represent the causes of samsAra. So अविद्या here is not used to
represent मूलाविद्या, but simply the manifestation of आत्म अज्ञानं, which
can be आगन्तुकं.

To reinforce the notion that these are अध्यस्त धर्माः, Atma is described by
Shankara as "सर्वसंबंधातीतं" later on in the bhAshya of the same mantra.
These are some random thoughts, so if there are some things wrong in it,
please do forgive me.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan
On 9 Jan 2016 11:07, "H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l" <