[Advaita-l] Is study of Vedanta necessary?

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 08:23:24 CST 2016

Namaste Bhaskar ji,

> However, practically speaking, we have no other karaNa (instrument) of
knowledge associated with which we can talk about ourselves or recognize
others as Atma jnAni or ajnAni.

> We cannot do the shravaNAdi sAdhana without the aid of manObudhyAdi
upAdhi-s.

Indeed. However, the point I was making was not whether karaNAs are
required for shravaNAdi, or jnAna utpatti (they most certainly are), but in
the capacity of these karaNAs in and as of themselves to reveal Atma. In
the same way, vedAnta shAstra will not reveal jnAna, unless there is a guru
to do the upadesham, and an alert sishyA listening to such upadesham. Both
the guru and sishyA along with all the karaNas need to be present and
available, AND shAstra (specifically mahAvAkya) upadesham would need to
happen and be received for jnAnam

> in case of a conflict between these two revealed texts disagreement with
regard to validity of one pramANa over other would naturally arise as to
which of the two revealed texts is the one indisputably valid !!??

The validity of any pramANa is subject to the knowledge revealed by that
pramANa not being invalidated by any other valid pramANa. If there are
other texts that reveal knowledge that is not invalidated by any other
pramANa, then such texts too are pramANa. Therefore, in order to dispute
the validity of vedA, it would be necessary to establish that the knowledge
that it generates is proven incorrect by other pramANas. Our contention is
that it cannot be so established.

In my view, apaurusheyatvam of vedA is not the reason why it is a pramANa.
It is a pramANa because it generates pramA about matters which no other
pramANas can reveal, let alone dispute. Their apaurusheyatvam is
inferentially established by the abAdhitvam of such pramA.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan