[Advaita-l] 'The battle for Sanskrit' - Rajiv Malhotra

Ryan Armstrong ryanarm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 02:16:10 CST 2016

My Dear Praveen
Thank you for these comments.

At our school, we do in fact follow the dual approach.  And the point you
make about the Panini sutras being for those who can already speak the
language is well put.
The main reason we learn Sanskrit it for the practice of "reflection" where
the process of श्रवणम्, मननम् and निद्धिध्यासनम् is applied to passages
from the Upanishads and sometimes other works.
So the study of Sanskrit is a tool for the real work of Realization of the
Self.
In my case, I have to often remind myself of the composition of Aadi
Sankara:
भज गोविन्दम् भज गोविन्दम् भज गोदिन्दम्  मूढमते
सम्प्राप्ते सन्निहिते काले न हि न हि रक्षति डुकृङ्करण

And thank you for pointing out the mistakes. The न् which should be ण्
(repeatedly) was simply lack of attention and memory of the rule where the
र is present.
But I usually use fonts in a word processor which has a pop-up for the
sanyogas and lesser used letters, but am now using gmail's devanaagari
Unicode entry tool.
The problem is that I am not aware of how to form some of the characters.
For instance, with the nasal sounds, I can find the Moordha, danta and
oushthau letters, but cannot find the kantha and taalu.
(The final word in the verse above is one such..) In any case, practice
should remedy that one!

Kind Regards
Ryan

--