[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Works of Sri Vidyashankara

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 11:27:24 CST 2016

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 7:17 PM, Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <

> Namaste,
> Sri VedAnta deSika, an eminent VishishTadvaitin, in his commentary on the
> Gita mentions a list of commentators from other traditions of the Gita
> (18.66) - पिशाच - रन्तिदेव - गुप्त - शङ्कर - यादवप्रकाश - भास्कर -
> नारायणार्य - यज्ञस्वामि - प्रभृतिभि:.
>
> This list is generally considered to be in chronological order (I believe F
> Otto Schrader discusses this in one of his works). Secondly, VedAnta
> deSika, being a visiShTAdvaitin, cannot be said to have a vested interest
> in attributing the gIta bhAshya to Shankaracharya (i.e. with a view to
> improve the latter's bibliography).  Thirdly, Sri DeSika is known as a
> contemporary of Sri VidyAraNya, who was Sri VidyASankara's disciple. If the
> gIta bhAshya was indeed composed by Sri VidyASankara, then I would imagine
> that Sri DeSika would be better placed to opine on it than say, us, as he
> was one generation below Sri VidyASankara.

I think the clinching evidence that Shankara's bhaṣya preceded Ramanuja's
was pointed out in another post by citing the very words/concepts that
Ramanuja's bhāṣya contains in refutation of Shankara, found in the latter's
bhāṣya.

On another note, the Paiśāca bhāṣya is available in the 11 commentaries. Is
the Ranti deva's too published?  'Gupta' listed above is Abhinava Gupta, I
think. But dis he precede Shankara?

An aside: It is reported that BNK Sharma has stated that Abhinava Gupta has
cited from the Srimadbhāgavatam in his Gita commentary. Has anyone located
the place where he has cited?

regards
subbu