[Advaita-l] Fwd: "time" as defined in Vedanta pariBAsha.

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 07:18:44 CST 2016

Namaste Chandramouli ji,

On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 5:03 PM, H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Not so I think. माया (mayA) also is inferred to be there before Creation.
> But the basis for that is Shruti. Not just a logical inference.

I didn't make *just* a logical inference. It is clearly based on the Suta
Samhita verse and Smritis, if not the Shruti. It is taught in the tradition
that the time being present is inferred during pralaya. Else there is no
way to explain Smritis about yuga details along with measures of pralaya
time durations. I just connected it to why the 3rd category.

> But there is no such shruti backing for inferring that time should be
> there मिथ्या (mithya) or otherwise.

Shruti may not say everything there is to say. Nor does anyone know
everything that Shruti says. I gave a possible interpretation of Suta
Samhita's third category for काल। If you say that there is no 3rd category,
you will be contradicting Suta Samhita verse itself, which not only did
Vidyaranyacharya comment upon, but the tradition believes that Bhashyakara
himself studied eight times before writing his Bhashya!

> In the absence of that, in my view, it would not be appropriate to make
> such an assertion.

That is an unfair view please. I request you to instead:
a) Explain as to how is time known during pralaya when मायाकार्य is
resolved, for creation to begin.
b) refute the inference presented by pointing a logical flaw and/ or
showing that the same contradicts the Shruti statement directly, in which
case, likely, the 3rd category will also stand dismissed.
c) present an alternate interpretation of the Suta Samhita verse 1.8.24
putting काल in the 3rd category.

Thanks.

gurupAdukAbhyAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat