[Advaita-l] Fwd: "time" as defined in Vedanta pariBAsha.

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 05:14:14 CST 2016

On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <

> Namaste Chandramouliji,
> Sure, as long as there is agreement on siddhAnta, one can choose any shruti
> approved prakriya.

We can keep arguing which prakriya is better till the cows come home.
> यया यया भवेत् पुंसां व्युत्पत्तिः प्रत्यगात्मनि।
> सा सैव प्रक्रिया साध्वी विपरीता ततोऽन्यथा ॥

There is a reading that I have heard: For the second half above, it is:

सा सैव प्रक्रियेह स्यात् साध्वी सा चानवस्थिता ।

In the Panchadashi, Vidyaranya paraphrases that verse of Sureshvaracharya
thus:

यया यया भवेत् पुंसां व्युत्पत्तिः प्रत्यक् आत्मनि ।
सा  सैव प्रक्रियेह स्यात् साध्वित्याचार्यभाषितम् ॥ ७३॥

There is simply no limit to the prakriya-s. Thus, what is found in the
śruti and the bhāṣya is not exhaustive; it is upalakṣaṇa.  A present day
Acharya can always devise a prakriya to suit his pupils of a particular
time and clime.

regards
vs