[Advaita-l] avidya vs maayaa - What is the difference?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 11:34:17 CST 2016

Thank you Sada ji, for your clarification. Here is another citation from
Shankara that I am presenting here for the general audience:

In the Bṛ.up. Bhāṣya 2.5.19 occurs this commentary for the mantra: indro
māyābhiḥ pururūpa īyate [Īśvara, owing to māyā (plural) takes on multiple
forms]. Shankara says:

इन्द्रः परमेश्वरः मायाभिः प्रज्ञाभिः नामरूपभूतकृतमिथ्याभिमानैर्वा न तु
परमार्थतः, पुरुरूपः बहुरूपः, ईयते गम्यते — एकरूप एव प्रज्ञानघनः सन्
अविद्याप्रज्ञाभिः ।

Translation by Swami Madhavananda:

//The Lord on account of Māyā or diverse knowledge or (to give an
alternative meaning) the false identifications created by name, form and
the elements, not in truth- is perceived manifold, because of these notions
superimposed by ignorance, although He is ever the same Pure Intelligence.//

Here, the term 'māyā' is given the meaning of 'diverse knowledge' (vikṣepa)
as also avidyā  (ignorance). So, in a single sentence Shankara gives the
meaning of 'avidyā' to the term 'māyā.' One can also see the vivarta
concept here: One Lord takes on multiple forms, without undergoing any
change: remaining as Pure Intelligence, as Shankara says above. Nirguna
Brahman, owing to avidyā becomes many. In that 'many' there is Ishwara too,
along with jivas and inert objects.

regards
subbu