[Advaita-l] avidya vs maayaa - What is the difference? Part III

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 02:54:40 CST 2016

Namaste SadAji,

Thank you for the detailed reply. Instead of going through a line by line
analysis (which is somewhat difficult given the formatting issues), I
thought I will instead present a compendium of various prakriyAs in this
regard adopted by sampradAya, as outlined by Appayya DIkshitar in SiddhAnta
Lesha Sangraha.

Appayya DIkshitar in defining Ishvara and jIva presents 4 alternatives
considered by AchAryas which sheds a very interesting light on how avidyA
and mAya are viewed by the sampradAya.

1) From the prakaTArthavivaraNa by AnubhUtisvarUpAchArya: mAya is anAdi,
anirvAcya, bhUtaprakriti, located in consciousness. The reflection of
consciousness in that mAya is Ishvara. avidyA is the name for the infinite
number (ananta) of limited instances (paricchinna pradesha) of the very
same mAya endowed with AvaraNa and vikshepa shakti. The reflection of
consciousness in that avidyA is jIva. In this definition, avidyA is a
subset of mAya.
2) From tattvaviveka (Ch 1 of Panchadashi of VidyAraNya svAmi): Based on
the Nrsimha tApini upanishad vAkya जीवेशावभासेन करोति माया च अविद्या च
स्वयमेव भवति, this view holds that avidyA and mAya are two forms /
configurations of triguNAtmika mUlaprakriti. The configuration of
mUlaprakriti where rajas and tamas are dominated by shuddha sattva is
called mAya. Where rajas and tamas dominate the sattva, it is called
avidyA. Thus, says Appayya DIkshitar, differences are imagined/postulated
(parikalpya) between avidyA and mAya. Here, avidyA and mAya are two
configurations of the same prakriti.
3) Appayya DIkshitar doesn't name who holds this view: Within one
mUlaprakriti, the amsha where the vikshepa shakti is dominant is called
mAya, and the amsha where AvaraNa shakti is predominant is called avidyA.
Even though the upAdhi's of Ishvara and jIva are the same, because only
jIva is associated with AvaraNa shakti, he says "I am ignorant", whereas
Ishvara does not. Here avidyA and mAya are two amshas of  the same upAdhi.
4) In samkshepa shArIraka of sarvajnAtma muni: Based on the shruti
statement "कार्योपधिरयं जीव: कारणोपाधिरीश्वर:" (Shukarahasya upanishad)
this view states that Ishvara is the reflection of consciousness in avidyA
(the kAraNa) and jIva is the reflection of consciousness in antahkaraNAm
(the kArya). In this view, avidyA and mAya are not distinguished at all as
Ishvara is said to have the upAdhi of avidyA.

In summary, the prevalent views are 1) one is a subset of the other 2) the
two are different configurations of the same fundamental guNas 3) They are
two different amshas (parts) of the same prakriti, with one amsha being
vikshepa pradhAna and the other AvaraNa pradhAna 4) they are absolutely the
same.

Therefore, your view that avidyA and mAya have been considered as different
in VedAnta shAstra is correct, as there are some groups within the advaita
sampradAya who do hold that view, as evidenced by Appayya DIkshitar. I
stand corrected.

However, there is an acknowledgment in all views outlined that one is
related to the other in some fashion (from absolute identity in one end of
the spectrum, to both made of the same "stuff", to one being derived from
the other). I am not suggesting this is a comprehensive list of all views
within the advaita sampradAya, but among the ones prevalent in DIkshitar's
time, he deems these 4 to be the important ones. There could be other views
that have emerged since then which postulate an absolute difference between
avidyA and mAya, but I am not aware of these.

In any case, as you have identified,  holding the view that avidyA and mAya
are absolutely the same, or absolutely different, or somewhere in the
middle, are merely prakriyA differences and not fundamental to siddhAnta.
Whatever one likes one can choose, so long as they get to Atma jnAna

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 2:55 AM, kuntimaddi sadananda via Advaita-l <