[Advaita-l] Rudra creates Brahmā and Viṣṇu

D Gayatri dgayatrinov10 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 01:46:48 CDT 2016

> These portions are directly contradicted by the MB itself, by Krishna
> himself, by the verses cited from the BORI edition.

Since Shankara quotes only the Vishnu supremacy portions in the Mbh,
we may safely ignore the Shiva supremacy portions.

> Also, given that we have the VSN, which is part of Mbh and commented upon by
> Shankara with quotations replete from various sources to hold Hari-Hara
> abheda and trimurti aikya and Shiva parama kāraṇam, etc. and the highest
> Advaita also with innumerable upanishadic citations both in the prelude as
> well as in the body of the VSN, we can take Shankara's Vedantic  position as
> this alone. And in the Prashna bhashya too Shankara holds Rudra to be
> brahman.

If one really were holding to the view of Hari-Hara aikya, then one
would not have claimed that Shiva is the only one fit to be meditated
upon. One who really holds the VSN bhashya as authentic would not have
claimed that Vishnu lives under Shiva's grace or Krishna begged
forgiveness from Shiva. So the Hari-Hara aikya-vAda is merely a
smokescreen.