[Advaita-l] Shankara authenticates Shiva

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 01:31:03 CDT 2016

For Shankara,if Vishnu, or any deity is formed, it is anātmā and abrahma.
He has clarified this in the kenopanishat bhashya. The criterion is: if the
deity is upāsya, as 'he is different and I am different', it is anātmā.
Why? The aspirant cannot identify with that deity as 'I am this'. If the
deity is 'this' then it is anātma. So, only the nirguna chaitanyam is atma,
brahma, according to Shankara.