[Advaita-l] Shankara authenticates Shiva

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 17 13:28:35 CDT 2016

D Gayatri dgayatrinov10 at gmail.com wrote:

> > > But when did I ever say that mere worship of Vishnu without any jnana, leads to immortality?
> >
> > When did I ever say that mere worship of Shiva without any jnana, leads to immortality?
>
> Err...chanting the rudram for instance...

Revered Sir, how then do you interpret the following verse(s) from the Jabala Upanishad?
(Which, one must add, is an Upanishad that is quoted by Sankara!).

  III-1. Then the disciple students (Brahmacharins of Yajnavalkya) asked him: ‘Pray, tell
  us, what is that mantra by reciting which one attains immortality?’ He replied: ‘By (reciting)
  Satarudriya’. These mantras are indeed the names of (Rudra to achieve) immortality. By
  (reciting) these (mantras) one becomes immortal.

  atha hainaM brahmachAriNa UchuH ki.n japyenAmR^itatvaM brUhIti ||
  sa hovAcha yAj~navalkyaH | shatarudriyeNetyetAnyeva ha vA
  amR^itasya nAmAni ||
  etairha vA amR^ito bhavatIti evamevaitadyAj~navalkyaH || 3||