[Advaita-l] Shankara authenticates Shiva as the son of Brahma

D Gayatri dgayatrinov10 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 02:34:48 CDT 2016

Sri Shashi

I think, if my memory is correct, even Sri Madhusudhana Saraswathi
mentions that Krishna saves Draupadi. But there is absolutely no doubt
in my mind that this is an interpolation and it is not present in the
critical edition. In the critical edition Draupadi is saved
miraculously and Krishna is nowhere mentioned as the cause of the
miracle. In fact, Krishna later gives a detailed account to the
Pandavas on why he was absent from the Kuru Raj Sabha at that time.

Also, I am not saying the critical edition is perfect. But it is
probably the best that we have right now. There may be a few specific
instances where the critical edition left out genuine portions, but
this list most certainly does not include Krishna saving Draupadi.

Please note that the gauDiya AchAryas and Tulsidas are much later.
Even by Sri Madhva's time, we know that many interpolations were
present in the Mahabharata. IMO, Bhakti cannot be an excuse to
relinquish the truth. Even with all the interpolations removed, the
Mahabharata is a very fine source of bhakti. But an interpolation is
an interpolation and cannot be treated as genuine.