[Advaita-l] Shankara authenticates Shiva as the son of Brahma

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 14 00:16:48 CDT 2016

Dear friends,

While trying to prove Vishnu as superior ot Shiva one should not try to show that Shiva was Brahma's son, I read quite sometime ago in Purana (which is considered as fifth veda by the Vedas),  that Brahma himself prayed to Shiva to take as Brahma's son and Shiva, the Bholanath obliged. I am sure there would be many, who read  puranas, would know thus.

Secondly, Lord Krishna himself considers the Veda as Apara Vidya and the Upanishads as the para-Vidya. The Mundaka upanishada also says that the Veda is Apara Vidya  The Vedanta is Upanishada. In Vedanta there is only one Brahman. Vedantins know the dictum "SARVAM KHALVIDAM BRAHMA" . Unfortunately the Dvaitins seem to ignore this fact.  The Advaita discussions are at the Apara-Vidya level.

Regards
skb