[Advaita-l] Shankara authenticates Shiva as the son of Brahma

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 07:17:51 CDT 2016

Firstly it is arthavAda, not to be taken literally.

Secondly, you have several similar instances in slokas composed by
mahAtmAs, some by Shankaracharya himself, where for the benefit of ajnani
devotees, he says that I am a sinner, ajnAni, please help me Lord. It
doesn't mean Shankaracharya is an ajnAni or a sinner, it is said on behalf
of such devotees.

Thirdly, as I have said Rudra is an amshA. When Sri Rama was lamenting over
the loss of Sita one cannot say that the sarvajna Narayana is lamenting,
and for that lament to be cited as a reason to deny Narayana's Ishvaratvam.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan