[Advaita-l] Shankara authenticates Shiva as the son of Brahma

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 06:53:14 CDT 2016

Sure. Wherever such a birth is talked about, it has to be treated as a
notional one. When the shAstras talk of Rama's birth or Krishna's birth, it
has to simply be understood as Ishvara taking a sharIra through his mAyA.
Similarly in the taittiriya AraNyaka when discussing the pravargya ritual,
there is a story of VishNu's head being cut off and that disembodied
becoming the sun.

All these births and deaths are only to be taken as arthavAda, merely
notional to illustrate a deeper truth. Ishvara who takes many forms such
Shiva, Vishnu etc through his mAya has neither birth nor death.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan