[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Why only jagat is mithya and jeeva is brahman !!??

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 00:00:42 CDT 2016

Namaste all,

For the benefit of neutral readers of this thread and some who are/were
participating, let me clarify that there are no jagat mithyAvAdins in this
discussion, lest anyone thinks that the statement made may be true! :) That
may seem a very convenient usage for some but it is technically completely
incorrect. vAda asya asti iti vAdI is a fine vyutpatti of the word, however
the word vAda is usually used in the tradition only to show tAtparya/
commitment of the pakSha. As I explained earlier too, the tAtparya of those
supporting the view that jagat is mithyA, including Shankaracharya who
authored the ardhashloka, is only jIvabrahmaikya. It may also seem
convenient to call oneself AtmaikatvavAdins in contrast, as if the other
party is not! If one takes an unbiased stance, one would call oneself
jagatsatyavAdin in the same breath that the other is called
jagatmithyAvAdin, both being equally wrong tags! :)

praNAm,
--brahmavAdin :)
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */