[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Why only jagat is mithya and jeeva is brahman !!??

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 10:26:03 CDT 2016

PraNAms - answered below.

On Wed, 4/27/16, Ramachandra Sastry <ramachandra.sastry at gmail.com> wrote:

 Namaste,
 I have a
 query on Adhisthana (substratam) of Jagat being Brahman,
 request scholars to explain please.
 1) When we say the serpent that is
 seen is only an illusion due to Avidya, we can determine
 whether the Adhisthana is a rope or a crack in the ground by
 Pratyaksha, Similarly if Brahman were an object for
 Pratyaksa then we could determine whether or not it is the
 Adhisthana for the illusory Jagat, however, Brahman is not a
 matter of Pratyaksa at all and only the Jagat is seen,
 therefore it might be not possible to say whether it's
 Adisthana is Brahman or some think else?

Ans: Yes - you are right - Hence to know that Brahman is the adhishTanam of the jagat - Scripture alone is pramaana. or means of knowledge, since Brahman by definition is imperceptible.For that Vedanta alone is pramaana- where creation is discussed.

 2)  How can formless Brahman be
 Adhishthana for the illusory forms, because there must be
 resemblance between the illusion and it's Adhisthana
 when it is not possible to imagine a snake in a shell or
 silver in a rope, how can the forms of the Jagat be imagined
 in the formless Brahman

Ans: Brahman being infinite cannot have form. The formless Brahman can appear with many forms - just as formless mind projects many forms in the dream world that you create. Hence to know the absolute truth which cannot be perceived nor can be deduced by logic - one has to approach a teacher and study Vedanta - says the scriptures. - tat vijnaanaartham guruam eva abhigachchet says Mundaka Up. tat viddhi praNipaatena pariprashnena sevaya - says Krishna. One need to study Vedanta under a competent teacher - a competent teacher is one who studied vedanta under another competent teacher - all the way to the Lord.

Hari Om!
Sadananda

 RegardsRamachandra Sastry

 On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at