[Advaita-l] Fwd: Why only jagat is mithya and jeeva is brahman !!??

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 03:36:26 CDT 2016

Sri Srinath,

I am typing out Sri Subbu-ji's answer to your question below as he cannot
do so at this present time (his answer was relayed to me in a voice
message). Any errors below are due to my lack of understanding/error in
paraphrasing, not due to Subbu ji.

<Start of Subbu ji's reply>

"You said:
<if you deny perceptability/knowability (pratIti) to sat padArtha, then one
wonder how mAyavAdins conceive asat-vilaxaNatvaM when they define mithya as
asat-lilaxaNa along with sad-vilaxaNa. Unless you know what is asat, then
only you can say given thing is "other than" sat. But itself is used as
hEtu in the anumAna 'asat chEt na pratiyatE'.>

The question of asad vilakshaNatva that you have raised is applicable to
dvaita also.

All vAdins accept vandhyA putrah, hare's horn, kUrma rOma etc as atyanta
asat. You have defined these as sarva dEsha kAla asat and distinguished
them from eka dEsha kAla asat of sarpa in rajju.

Can you say that sarva dEsha kAla alIkatva of a hare's horn has to be vEdya
for it to be called asat? You cannot.

To accept that hare's horn is asat, there is no requirement that it has to
be vEdya. Therefore it is possible to conceive of certain things as asat,
without requiring their vedyatvam.  Once that is accepted, advaitins can
say mithyA is vilakshaNa from such an asat.

If dvaitins say that vedyatvam is a precondition for asat, either 1) they
must accept the perceptibility of hare's horn or 2) accept that hare's horn
is not asat - both outcomes are untenable and contradict the dvaitin
position".

<End of Subbu-ji's message>

In addition, he suggests that we refer this link which contains a very nice
explanation of the difference in the definition of sattA between dvaita and
advaita, and consequently, the definitions of asat and mithyA in advaita
and adhyastha and alIka in dvaita.

Just to add another note. This is my addition -  not directly related, but
it does speak about vedyatvam (epistemology) in the context of satta
(ontology). In advaita, the perceptibility of something is not a
precondition of its sattA. In fact, I would say that its very
perceptibility rules out it as being sat or asat.

Only brahman is sat in advaita, we cannot rely on pramANas to perceive it
as an object - it is "known" only via shruti. By knowable, we say that sat
is not "knowable" in the popular sense of objectifying it. Secondly, asat
is also not perceivable / knowable, as it doesn't exist in any period of
time and is a purely fictitious entity for perception to occur.

Therefore from the above, neither sat nor asat is vEdya according to
Advaita. Only mithyA, which is sadasad vilakshaNa, is vedya - drishyatvam
is a lakshaNA of mithyA in advaita.

Regards,

Venkatraghavan