[Advaita-l] Sringeri Panchanga

Sundaram Venkatraman svenkat52 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 12:02:43 CDT 2016

Dear Sarmaji,

It is not my opinion that Nirayana zodiac is arbitrary; it is a fact that it is arbitrary.

Since the starting point of the Nirayana zodiac has physically vanished, it unfortunately has to be derived from the Sayana zodiac which is based on scientific observations and calculations. One has to deduct ayanamsha or the effect of precession of equinoxes in the past thousands of years, to arrive at the Nirayana Zodiac. There is no science in the choice of ayanamsha. It is choice based on faith. So the derivative Nirayana zodiac is also not a scientifically established fact but a choice based on faith. Siddhantic or Vakya Panchangs are also choices based on faith. If that is so, arguing that one zodiac is better than the other is not much different from arguing that one religion is better than another. Both discussions can be potentially endless.

I personally use a Drikganita panchang. That is my choice. As a South Indian Brahmin I don't take curds. That is also my choice. Rest of my community is convinced that I am a nut. While disagreeing with them, I also don't argue with them. Regards,

Venkat

Sent from my iPhone