[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Why only jagat is mithya and jeeva is brahman !!??

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 11:14:17 CDT 2016

Namaste Bhaskarji,

Thanks for noticing my mail(s) written to someone else and also choosing to
reply to the same though not to the ones written directly to you, where we
went in repeated loops. :)

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 11:19 AM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> IMHO, it is those who are throwing the baby with the bath water in the
> zeal of proving the brahma nirvisheshatva and asserting the jagat mithyatva
> :-)

Sure you can have your opinion, just as I can have mine. :) I have no zeal
to prove anything, I just follow what is already proven. Moreover, there
cannot be any proof to anyone who does not have the same, or even a
definition for a word he uses. If two parties discuss that one thing is or
is not X, that X has to be defined and agreed between two parties. Else I
will be saying that jagat is X, where X means A and you will be saying
jagat is not X, where X means B. This is exactly what we have been doing
thus far. :) In other words, discussion is possible on mithyA between us
only when you have a definition for mithyA, the status of which you have
been refusing to jagat. I have already given the definition I used.

> what exactly is this neti neti??  Does this neti neti asking us to throw
> away the jagat for which brahman is the abhinna nimittOpadAna kAraNa??

If you understand that negating the satyatva of nAmarUpa means throwing
away jagat, then the answer to your question is yes. I repeat,
bAdhasAmAnAdhikaraNam.

> Neti neti should end in realizing that there is nothing that exists Atma
> vyatirikta.  Neti neti ityasya kOrthaH?? Na hi etasmAt brahmaNO
> vyatiriktamasti ityarthaH, clarifies shankara in sUtra bhAshya.  In the
> Neti neti negation iti refers to jeeva mAnasa pratyaya mithyA jagat due to
> his anyathAgrahaNa ajnAna / avidyA and  that which is jneya (jagat) for
> this mithyA jnana of jeeva is not brahma, neti neti. And brahman svabhAvaM
> is not prapancha coz. Neha nAnAsti kiMchana...To protect this brahma
> nirvisheshatva, nirvikAratva there is no need to throw away the brahma
> kArya for which brahman is the only adhishtAnaM as well as upAdAnaM.

brahmakAryatvaM is itself mithyA, where is the need to protect that!

Jagat is pratyaksha pramANita whereas brahman's nirvisheshatva,
> niravayavatva, nirguNatva etc. is Agama siddha.

I have no clue why you say this, as if I dispute it!

pranAM,
--praveen