[Advaita-l] mithyA and abhAva chatuShTaya - Vaadiraaja's Nyayaratnavali Slokas 43-46

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 09:15:27 CDT 2015

Good point, but here the question is not whether VedAs are svatantram or
paratantram, but whether they have svatantra sattA or paratantra sattA?

If something depends on something else for its existence, it has no
independent existence of its own. This is the advaita position: that VedAs
themselves have no svatantra sattA- they ultimately have to depend on
Brahman for their existence.

Dvaitis agree that VedAs depend on bhagavAn, but unless they don't agree
that they depend on Him for their existence, Sri Subrahmanian's objection
stands. If they depend on bhagavAn, but it is not for their existence, what
else do they depend on Him for?

Are they saying their creation/preservation/destruction is dependent on
Him, but not their existence - they can exist independently once created?
Isn't bhagavAn's power limited by this logic?

Regards,
Venkatraghavan
On 3 Sep 2015 13:39, "Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l" <