[Advaita-l] dva suparNA

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 12:02:13 CST 2015

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 10:11 PM, Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <

> Chandramouli ji,
>
> One example that comes to mind is in Taittariya Upanishad 3.8:
>
> स यश्चायं पुरुषे । यश्चासावादित्ये । स एकः।
>
> "He who is in this man, and he that is in the sun there, he is the same."
>
> Others may have other examples.

In the Mandukya 7th mantra we have स आत्मा स विज्ञेयः

There is at least one example for Nirguna Chaitanyam referred to in
feminine gender too:

तथा जाबालाः — ‘त्वं वा अहमस्मि भगवो देवतेऽहं वै त्वमसि’ इति ।   The word
'devate' in this shruti passage is in the sambodhana, the prathamā,
nominative, of this word is: devatā.  Shankara cites this passage in the
BSB 3.3.37.  Thus we have NB spoken of in the shruti itself in all the
three genders.

see also a reply below.

> Sada ji,
> PraNAm. Thanks for the example.
>
> Just a thought - not sure if the interpretation is correct. The sarvajna:
> in that example indicates the "possession" of parA vidyA, and therefore I
> believe would have to be for mAyA vishishta chaitanyam, not for shuddha
> chaitanyam?

In that Mundaka passage that Sri Sada ji cites, Shankara has commented as:
sarvajna is sarvam sāmānyena jānāti, and sarva vit is sarvam viśeṣeṇa
jānāti. Both apply to Ishwara who knows the entire creation both in general
and in specifics, like for example, each jiva's karma.

vs