[Advaita-l] dva suparNA

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 07:08:20 CST 2015

Sri Venkatraghavan Ji,

Reg  << "Hence in my view it is sufficient , in understanding the
Bhashya/Shruti ,
 to distinguish between Jiva on the one hand and Brahman(
nirguna)/Iswara(saguna)/Kutastha/Sakshi on the other ( to be understood
contextually and according to individual temperament of the sadhaka)."

In general, I would tend to agree with you. Based on the context, one can
understand which term is being referred to. However, in this case, as
pointed by you, with respect to the same mantra, ShankarA seems to refer to
a sarvagya Isvara in one place and nirguNa chaitanyam in another. I would
like to understand how to interpret Shankara's seemingly different
treatment of the second bird in Mundaka vs Paingi Rahasya Brahmana (as
occurring in BSB 1.2.12).

Any thoughts on this would be helpful. >>

 Since you are following Vichara Sagara talks by Swami Paramarthananda
closely, it is easier for me to answer your question better by referring
you to the relevant portion therein. Please refer to topic 185, pp 103-105
of the book and the associated talk by SP. I do not recollect the talk
number. I am sure you are keeping track of it. From memory , I recall that
in his talk SP mentioned that he would give the gist of issue ( Brahma and
Iswara ) at that stage of his talks and that he would revert back to it at
a later stage for more elaborate discussion  after  the entire subject of
Vichara Sagara is completed. Otherwise , according to him , it is difficult
to grasp the full significance of the issue.

 The general gist of it is that Mayavishishta Chaitanyam is the Vachyartha
for the word “ Brahman “ and Mayarahita Chaitanyam is the Lakshyartha for
the same word. Accordingly  both the words “ Iswara “ and “ Brahma “ lead
to the same knowledge/understanding , and should not be treated as
different entities .

 You may like to refer to the book and talk for clarity.

Regards

Chandramouli

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 4:21 PM, Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <