[Advaita-l] Brahman and Avidya - mutually exclusive?

Aurobind Padiyath aurobind.padiyath at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 09:03:03 CDT 2015

Sri Venkatraghavanji,

Your two questions are:

So two questions here:
1) Are you saying that mAyA or mUlAvidya is non existent in deep sleep?
mAyA is only to him who in waking feels or experiences the effects of it.
In his deep sleep he doesn't have any experience (visheSha vigjnanam) since
his all types of sharIrA is in laya and has merged into the Turiya. When
that Turiya vibrates (spandanam) again, the cycle repeats. This laya is in
fact becoming one with IT as there is no two in reality. But what happens
or seems to happen, even though in reality it is not happening, is the all
pervading when reflects through the same sharIrA the individuality appears
to come back to life in the waking as Jnani or AJnani or the Jagat through
their respective Upadhis. These explanations of theory of mAyA etc are only
to make one inward and not in reality. In reality only That is there. Rest
are for the inquisitive mind to calm down and realise that "Brahmaivedam
sarvam" or "Atma vyatirekena nasti kinchit".

2) Are you saying that the lack of experience of sharIrA is equal to the
lack of existence of the sharIrA

>From the above you can understand that the laya is a temporary absence like
a wave when not seen does not mean it is absent in the ocean.
Regards,

Aurobind Padiyath