[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Fwd: What is avidyA vR^itti as against antaHkaraNa vR^itti?

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 15:48:05 CDT 2015

Sri Gurubhyo Namah.

The latest class of VichAra SAgara by Swami Paramarthananda dealt with the
very same issue.

In context of defining pramA, it was mentioned that pramA is classified as
an antah karaNa vritti having the antah karaNa or pramAtA as Ashraya. Then
when the question of whether smriti is pramA or not was considered.

Here Nishchala DAsA's conclusion was that smriti was not pramA (antah
karaNa vritti) and as it was in fact present in kAraNa sharIra or avidyA
and had its locus as the sAkshI, it was an avidyA vritti.

Other forms of avidyA vritti, ie vrittis that were present in kAraNa
sharIra were bhrAnti and samshayA, all having sAkshi as their locus.

So while a formal definition of antah karaNa vritti and avidyA vritti
wasn't given in this context, where they are located (antah karaNa vs
kAraNa sharIra) and what type of knowledge they represent (pramA vs
smriti/bhrAnti/samshayA) were discussed as the distinguishing
characteristics of the two vrittis.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan
On 28 Jul 2015 08:33, "H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l" <