[Advaita-l] Sanskrit Speech on BG 9 - 11 by Visistadvaita Pandita

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 23:45:35 CST 2015

Namaste

From Advaita Sharada  -
अवजानन्ति मां मूढा मानुषीं तनुमाश्रितम् ।
परं भावमजानन्तो मम भूतमहेश्वरम् ॥ ११ ॥
भाष्यम्
  अवजान न्ति अवज्ञां परिभवं कुर्वन्ति मां मूढाः अविवेकिनः मानुषीं
मनुष्यसम्बन्धिनीं तनुं देहम् आश्रितम्, मनुष्यदेहेन व्यवहरन्तमित्येतत्, परं
प्रकृष्टं भावं परमात्मतत्त्वम् आकाशकल्पम् आकाशादपि अन्तरतमम् अजानन्तो मम
भूतमहेश्वरं सर्वभूतानां महान्तम् ईश्वरं स्वात्मानम् । ततश्च तस्य मम
अवज्ञानभावनेन आहताः ते वराकाः ॥

In this Bhashya Adi Sankara is mainly saying the people without Viveka are
showing disrespect to God. They cannot understand He is Ishwara and the
Atma of all. In the next Sloka he has said प्रकृतिं देहात्मवादिनीं. They
treat Body as Atma. The Dehatmavadi people are the Fools. They cannot
understand God because they think Body is Atma and there is no other Atma
or Paramatma.

 I think the scholar in the Video is taking the first sentence like - अवजानन्ति
मूढा: मां तनुं आश्रितं मम मानुषीं तनुं च. What is तनुं आश्रितं ? He is the
Asraya of the World and all Cit and Acit Vastus. They are His tanu, His
Body. Madhvas are forgetting this and thinking He is separate and World is
separate. Sankarites are also forgetting World is His body. It is not
Maayaa. He is also Arca Vigraha in temples. But Fools will not show respect
to Him because they think God cannot be in Idols. What is मानुषीं तनुं? The
Avataras like Rama and Krishna. People like Ravana and Duryodhana did not
show respect to Him because they thought he was a ordinary man.

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 3:26 AM, Vidyasankar Sundaresan via Advaita-l <

> > In the below video at 16:00 minutes he is saying Madhvas and Advaitis
> both
> > are wrong. They are not recognizing the Sarira Sariri Bhava.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRncBdd29jc
> >
> > What is the correct explanation for BG 9-11?
> >

> Dear Sri Venkatesh Murthy,
>
> Of course, he says that. He is a Srivaishnava scholar.
>
> Let me pose a counter to you. As a member of the Advaita-L list, why don't
> you take up the SAnkarabhAshya on this verse and share with the rest of the
> members here, what you think about it? The entire text of the gItAbhAshya
> is available online, in case you don't have a print publication, both at
> the Gita supersite from IIT Kanpur and at the Advaita Sharada site from
> Sringeri.
>
> Wouldn't our Acharya's bhAshya be the correct explanation for BhG 9-11? Or
> at least the first explanation that Advaitins should attempt to understand?
>
> Best regards,
> Vidyasankar

Regards

-Venkatesh