[Advaita-l] Sringeri Jagatguru announces His Successor

RAMESH RAMANAN rameshramanan at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 16 04:10:18 CST 2015

Pranams,
I would like to add my observation from two real-life incidences relating to Sri Ramana Maharishi: Two visitors asked the Maharishi the following questions on two separate occasions: 1)  "Mahatma Gandhi and others are fighting for the country's independence. Why don't you join hands with them to get freedom for India?

2) Why do you not preach all the Truth from a platform instead of sitting here on a couch? (Though not so rudely put, the questioner assumed that Sri Ramana was simply whiling away his time and living like a parasite on the adulations and praise of his followers.

Sri Ramana's answers were telling: The answer to the first question 1) The same force that motivates me also motivates Mahatma Gandhi and others. It is not necessary that all have to respond in the same manner to the same circumstances. I am motivated to act the way I do and Mahatma Gandhi and others are motivated to act the way they do. There is nothing contradictory in our actions. (Indirectly, Sri Ramana was hinting at the freedom of the Spirit or Atman, towards which he was guiding genuine seekers of Truth). The answer to the second question is especially relevant to us when we consider the lives of saints and sages: The answer is: 2) How do you know that I am not teaching? Simply lecturing others for hours on end from a platform and not transforming their lives (causing mere pain in the ears of the listeners) is nothing in comparison with sending out divine inner force, (which I am doing). This is exactly what a true sage or saint does, sending out positive spiritual vibrations to transform the lives of their disciples and the whole of mankind in a subtle and invisible manner and their very presence purifies the whole of mankind in a very subtle way and they never take credit for all this, being the selfless power, at-one-ment with the highest reality called Brahman.
The presence of Sri Bharathi Theertha Mahaswamiji in our midst is a great and rare blessing. let us enjoy his presence and humbly accept his decisions, as we are very low in spiritual calibre compared to him and we have no moral right to  judge him by our petty standards. A sage alone can judge another sage to some extent. Swami Vivekananda had said this about himself, Only a Vivekananda can appreciate what this Vivekananda has done so far (This was not said out of arrogance, but out of the realization that there were people out to measure him by their ordinary standards).

Ramesh Ramanan.