[Advaita-l] Gita Jayanti

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Dec 21 22:54:37 CST 2015

Today, Margashirsha Shukla 11 is called Mokshada "the moksha-giving"
Ekadashi because it is also Gita Jayanti.  On this day amidst the armies
assembled on the battlefield of Kurukshetra, the despondent and
confusion-wracked Arjuna was taught the precious key to liberation from
the very parabrahman Himself who had taken the mortal form of Krishna
Bhagavan and the role of his charioteer.

Or we could say it was told some time later after the death of
Bhishma.  to Dhritarashtra by his minister Sanjaya who had been given the
power of divine sight to be able to narrate all the events of the war to
his blind lord.

Or we could say it was told by Bhagavan Vedavyasa to Ganesh Bhagavan who
was acting as his scribe for writing down the Mahabharata of which the
Gita forms a part.

Or we could say as Krishna Bhagavan Himself does that this vidya was
originally taught by Himself to Vivasvat who taught his son Manu who
taught his son Ikshavaku.

>From all this we can gather that the Gita is for all kinds of people and
at all times.  But right now and you are when and for who the message of
the Gita is most appropriate. :-)