[Advaita-l] asti bhAti priyaM in Drg-drsya viveka

sreenivasa murthy narayana145 at yahoo.co.in
Fri Aug 21 12:10:00 CDT 2015

Dear Sri Sadananda,       Pranams to you.
"2. In the scriptural statement you quoted AtmanyEvAtmAnam paSyati - The two words aatma should have different meanings in view of the above."      The same word Atma used twice in the Srutimantra has different meanings. Sri Shankara, in his commentary to the above mantra writes ; Atmani svE kAryakaraNasaMGAtE AtmAnam pratykcEtayitArAm paSyati ||
      It is very clear from the mantra as well as the commentary of Sri Shankara that asti as well as BAti are available for cognition / realization within oneself by oneself.
        Why a mumukshu or jijnasu should waste his time in all the discussions , arguements, counter arguements etc Instead of engaging himself in that what Sruti and Acharya have pointed out?
       I fear I do not agree with what you have stated in para 3. It goes against the pointers given out by Sruti and Acharya. Kindly refer to Para 1 of my posting where it has been stated thus:"the undeniable vastu whose svarUpa is Knowing is Being & Being is Knowing, self-evident, self-established, AvirBavatirOBAvavarjita and AgamApAyirahita. YOU are that vastu".
Please permit me to quote Shloka33, chapter 3 of Gaudapadakarike:
     kEna svamajam AtmatattvaM vibudhyatE? ucyatE -
          akalpakamajaM jnAnam jnEyABinnaM pracakShatE |          brahmajnEyamajaM nityamajEnAjaM vibudhyatE ||          Do you need a cadle light to cognize the sun?
With respectful namaskarams,Sreenivasa Murthy