[Advaita-l] Pratyaksha is more powerful than Sruti and Smruti?

Keshava PRASAD Halemane k_prasad_h at yahoo.co.in
Tue Aug 18 00:45:22 CDT 2015

namastE. praNaams Sri Siva Senani ji.
Your clarification regarding the relative preference ordering among/between the various karmas is excellent.
Another point that i noticed was about the SrAddha falling on Ganesha Chaturthi day every year just because the actual day of the departure of the soul happened to be on a Ganesha Chaturthi day of a particular year. And the concern was whether one would miss the Ganesha Chaturthi vrata/festival etc.
IMHO:
This may or may not be true, depending on how we determine the day for the SrAddha as against how the Ganesha Chaturthi day is determined.  I think there may be differences in tradition regarding both of these determinations based on the community and the region.
In our community in our region, the SrAddha is determined based on a matching done between the time/day of departure of the soul and the day of SrAddha by matching the three parameters - (1) sidereal month, (2) [Sukla/kRShNa] pakSha and (3) the availability of the tithi in the aparAhNNa of the day of the SrAddha. For example, for my father-in-law, it is on Suddha/Sukla panchami of the Simha maasa [although the day of actual departure of his soul happened to be on the day following the Ganesha Chaturthi festival day in that year] which is on 19-08-2015 for this year, that happens to be the second day of the simha maasa this year.
However, the day for GaneSha Chaturthi vrata/festival is based on the (1) lunar month of bhAdrapada (2) Suddha/Sukla pakSha (3) chaturthi (at sUryOdaya) day.  This year, it is on the kanyA-samkramaNa-day, that is the last day of simha-maasa, on 17-08-2015 this year.

praNaams.
 - Keshava PRASAD Halemane  mOkShakaamaarthadharmah  janmanaa jaayatE jantuḥ |  samskaaraat hi bhavEt dvijaḥ ||  vEda-paaThaat bhavEt vipra |  brahma jnaanaat hi braahmaNah ||