[Advaita-l] viShNu and caturbhuja viShNu

V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Sat Sep 13 12:54:18 CDT 2014

Shankara has not referred to 'Viṣṇu' and other names as the one with
chaturbhuja, etc.  The only reference is in the BG 11th chapter end where
Arjuna, unable to bear the fearsome viśwarūpa, wants Krishna to resume His
benign chaturbhuja form and this is specific to the Krishna avatāra.

A detailed analysis of the question as to whether Shankara identified or
preferred any deity as saguṇa brahman, be it Viṣṇu or Śiva or any other, is
available in an article I posted a few weeks ago:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/z3kwt9h1kr87fem/Shankara_pref_deity.pdf

regards
subrahmanian.v

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 5:54 PM, Sujal Upadhyay via Advaita-l <