[Advaita-l] Rudram Chanting in White House

Shreekrishna via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Mon Oct 13 10:56:56 CDT 2014

Srigurubhyo namaH

I am a silent observer of many discussions in this forum. But this
particular thread caught my attention.

I do not have much to add to the discussion, save this point. The
appropriateness of the so-called mlechchas chanting rudram apart, this is a
wake-up call to the entire Brahmin community, that if we do not "save our
wealth", it will soon be usurped by outsiders, to the extent that, 300
years from now, Brahmins might have to approach mlechchas to learn that
that really belonged to their ancestors.

As a community, we have the tendency to get lost and engrossed in minute
details, dos and don'ts, to such an extent, that we may very well miss the
big tsunami that is coming our way to wash us off our roots.

Lastly, I had mentioned this event on my Facebook wall, and shall mention
it here too. The government of India should take note of this event. If one
were to chant rudram or chamakam in Rashtrapati Bhavan or Parliament House,
the media and segments of the opposition would be shouting at the top of
their voice, calling it "unsecular", and questioning why Azaan is not sung
instead. It is most disheartening to note that, while America embraces
Indian culture so remarkably, India is failing to identify itself with its
traditional roots.

It is in our interest to put behind differences and question the intent and
appropriateness of the event, and take this as a tight slap on the Brahmin,
Hindu and Indian community.

Shreekrishna.

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l <

> Namaste
>
> In North India they can wear clothes for cold weather but in America the
> temples will be heated internally. There is no cold inside. And priests in
> America temples are dressed traditionally like South Indian Brahmin
> priests. You can see priests in Washington temple here in this video -
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gAUtCCx4N0
>
> America temples are following our South Indian tradition only in Vedic
> activities. They have to follow same dress code also. They have to remove
> shirts, pants and shoes.
>
> They may be wearing other dresses in Bhajans and non Vedic activities. That
> is not wrong.
>
> We had long discussion on Go Mamsa and others long time back. The cannon
> guns are silent now. I don't want to re ignite. Sorry. You can check the
> archives.
>

> On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 8:26 PM, D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ <
> dvnsarma at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Codes are determined by desa, kala and deha-dharma.
> > In the north in colder climates people have to cover themselves against
> > the wheather
> > and priests ware coats etc.
> >
> > Go and tell them that should not wear them they will not take it kindly.
> >
> > Mr.Venkatesh Murty, we have so many smrits so many traditions in India
> > that you cannot say this only is right and that is wrong.
> >
> > Bengali brahmins are matsyabhuks and Kashiri brahmins are mamsabhuks.
> >
> > Brihadaranyka U. prescribes gomamsa (Uksha) for a son with
> > brahmavarchas!!!(Please read Sankara's commentary
> > on the passage).
> >
> > regards,
> > Sarma.
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 5:42 PM, Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l <
> >
> >> Namaste
> >>
> >> Sir Swamiji I cannot agree no dress code is required for Vedas. There
> is a
> >> dress code.

> >> say
> >> put
> people
> >> in

> >> learning
> >> how
> >> them?

> >> --
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> -Venkatesh
> >>
> >> For assistance, contact:
> >> listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org
> >>

> --
> Regards
>
> -Venkatesh

ಸಕಲ ಸಾಧನವೆನಗೆ ಕೈ ಸೇರಿತು, ಮುಕುತಿಯ ಸಾಧನಕೆ ತುಸುವು ಬಾರದ ಧನವು!
- ಶ್ರೀಮದ್ವಾದಿರಾಜರು