[Advaita-l] PrasAda

Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Mon Oct 6 21:20:20 CDT 2014

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014, Sujal Upadhyay wrote:

> Please can you define or explain sanskrit / gujarati equvalent of grace, as
> in day-2-day talks we use the word grace only.
>
> grace = ?
> mercy = kripa

I don't think there will be a 100% equivalent because central to the
theology of those Western religions is the idea that we are born as
sinners and need to be rescued from the wrath of God.  Even in the
theistic traditions of Hinduism this would be tamasika bhakti at best.  In
Advaita Vedanta we are taught that we are none other than the one perfect
Brahman and it is only due to ignorance that wew have come to identify
with a limited self characterized by pain and sorrow.  In the kshmapana
shlokas we say after a puja there is an apology to Bhagavan but that is
for any mistakes which may have been made in that vidhi not for our very
natures.  Bhagavans krpa ("mercy" would be a decent translation.) is in
forgiving those particular mistakes and to make known the saving knowledge
of brahmajnana not in deigning to stop torturing us after sufficient
flattery.

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014, Sujal Upadhyay wrote:

> There is one more word
>
> paropakAra = benovelence

This would refer to the favor that Bhagavan gives to the highest bhaktas.
Who might not be who you think.  (Bhagavan does not play favorites but
alots a fate depending on a particular jivas karma.)  Mahishasura counted
himself the greatest enemy of Durga Ma but by the favor of Her glance and
speech and touch he was transformed and reached the highest level of
jnana.