[Advaita-l] Pratyabhijna

KAMESWARARAO MULA kamesh_ccmb at yahoo.co.in
Sun Nov 30 17:43:33 CST 2014

 Dear Jaladhar Ji,                                Excellent ! Regarding Pratyabhijna, I am not aware of anything even alphabets. Infact I thought to  mail regarding this for the details as only Shivates and who worship lord shiva as per the Agama sastra can only elaborate Pratyabhijna. Many thanks for the detailed description. Apart from this please put some light also on Purva Mimansa which based on Karma siddhanta as it is different from uttara mimansa based on Vedanta.
Since during our childhood, People say something about God or anything we talk which we don't understand / or it is beyond our understanding capacity, Our elders used to say he is talking about Vedanta (Ka ha vat).. Actually it is not true, since we did not understand the concept and it is beyond our understanding we are calling it as vedanta (based on uttara mimansa) as it is also one of the school of study.
The current life style scinario makes us to search for deeper understanding on Purva mimamsa i.e Prior enquiry based on the Karma siddhanta, What I mean to say the  purpose of lie? what for we came into this maya cycle?As Karma is mainly arises from Sanchita, Prarabdha & Swayamkruta, what ever you name, one has to bare the fruits of the karma as there was no escape. Some time back, we did this job knowingly or unknowingly, Now we have to face the consequences, I mean we are like this to some one at one time, Now they are like this to us at this time.
The duties of the righteious conduct person in this kali dominated world and finally service to the mother land.Kindly elaborate also on " purva Mimansa'
with regardsKameswara

     On Monday, 1 December 2014 4:21 AM, Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

 On Fri, 28 Nov 2014, KAMESWARARAO MULA via Advaita-l wrote:

> I head several times the word name of "Pratyabhijna" through many
> people, but I dont't know what exactly it is. I request any learned
> members to give the details of what is Pratyabhinja? How is it related
> to Advaita Philosophy? I mean how it is different from Adi Shankara's
> Works.

pratyabhiGYA darshana is the formal name of what is known as Kashmiri
Shaivam.  mAdhavAcharya describes it concisely in the sarvadarshanasaMgraH.

It is not based on the Vedas (though it does not reject them) but
primararily on the 28 shaiva Agamas and the 64 bhairava Agamas or tantras.

(Also There is another group of six Agamas in two groups of three, lower
and higher.  The higher triad form the basis of an important form of
Kashmiri Shaiva practice called trIka.  The three trika Agamas are
siddhatantra, mAlinitantra and vAmakeshvaritantra.  The last of these is
also the basis of shrIvidya which has spread throughout India particularly
the South.)

The primary philosophical texts are: the shiva sUtras revealed to
vasugupta and their vArttika by kshemendra, shivadR^iShTi by somAnanda,
spandashAstra by bhaTTa kallaTa, ishvarapratyabhiGYa and vivR^iti by
utpaladeva with vimarshini (laghu and br^ihata) by kshemendra.
Abhinavagupta is the greatest philosopher of this darshana. His important
works include tantrAloka tantrasAra, parAtrisikavivAraNa, viGYAnabhairava
etc.

These authors lived circa 9-12th centuries.  Some of them know of Advaita
Vedanta and criticize it.  In the Shankaradigvijaya, one abhinavagupta is
mentioned as an enemy of ShankarAcharya and padmapAdAcharya but the
context shows it is someone other than the KS philosopher.

According to SDS the first shivasUtra states:

katha~nchidAsAdya maheshvarasya dAsyaM janasyApyupakAramichchhan |
samastasampatsamavAptihetuM tatpratyabhiGYAmupapAdayAmi ||

"Having somehow become a dAsa of maheshvara and wishing for the welfare of
all people, I shall expound that recognition which is the cause of
supreme fulfilment of all blessings."

recognition (pratyabhiGYa) means the sadhaka has unshakable conviction
that he is one with paramashiva.  Hence it is Advaitic.  However being
based on tantras not upanishads it is not Vedantic.

The chief means of pratyabhiGYa in KS is GYAna but they also believe in
some tantric ideas such as shaktipAt where a guru bestows it upon a
sadhaka which is not possible as per AV.

Shiva is the supreme God in KS.  Advaita Vedanta treats all the Vedic
deities as of equal rank.

According to KS Paramashiva is a real and active presence in the entire
material universe.  According to AV the material universe is maya and not
the real form of Brahman who is ever distinct from action.  (For this
reason the Kashmiris often refer to AV as shAntabrahmavAda.)

No doubt because of the shrIvidya connection and due to its advaitic
nature, some KS-influenced ideas have filtered into AV particularly in
more recent times but for the most part only indirectly.  The Muslim
invasion of Kashmir pretty much put an end to creative work in this
darshan in its homeland and it never really spread anywhere else.

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014, kuntimaddi sadananda via Advaita-l wrote:

> Pratyabhijna means recognition of oneself. I am - + all activities that
> involve time, space and object wise limitations. I am- remains the same
> at least from birth to death while the BMI is changing. Pratyabhijna is
> recognition of myself as the very-existent conscious entity that does
> not undergo any change in spite of all changes in the BMI and the
> external world.

This would be one way to "vedantize" pratyabhiGYa but it is not very true
to the original.  For Kashmiri Shaivas paramashiva is ever involved in
change as depicted by His lAsya and tANDava dances.